A Vivid Memory

There was a childhood memory I remember so vividly.
I was about 9 or 10. Lying in our bed in our light-green painted room. 
Holding a song lyrics book in her right hand, my mum would sing "We're All Alone" (originally by Rita Coolidge) but she fancied Zsa Zsa Padilla's version more, judging from the photo of her on the page. For nights, she would sing it while laying in bed before we drifted to sleep. If Last Song Syndrome (LSS) was a term back then, you would say it hit her hard! But it was angelic. She would sometimes ask me to sing along. I never got to memorize the song but I can probably hum the chorus!

Whenever she held the mic, she would sing her pieces. She never got the timing right but she would finish the songs with a proud face. She would force me to sing at every family gathering but as a young and shy girl, I hated it! But I admired her talent and it's probably the reason why singing became my passion too. My siblings and I grew up listening to the radio almost every day, we even had our own radio in our room and would sleep with it on. Every Sunday, you'd expect 70s-80s songs playing on full blast. I've never heard my Dad sing, not even once. But he would be in charge of tweaking the radio's settings and would put Engelbert Humperdinck on repeat. I have a music-loving family, I would say.

When my brother was born, he also came to love music. Compared to the shy me, he was rather quite confident in showing his singing to the family. He would belt out Mariah Carey's songs. And my mama would always be so proud! She'd always be like "he got it from me". 


And just like that, both my mum and brother were gone. 
I bet they're jamming together in Heaven. If I can have a chance to visit them, the first thing I will ask them is to sing so I can have the same feeling of hearing it when they're still alive. I miss them both terribly. And while this is actually making me sad, I'm still grateful that music brought our family closer. 
I will never ever not love music, and you two will always be on my mind whenever I sing. This is actually the same reason I got a G Clef tattoo music will always be a part of me. 


oh and look at that, Fix You by Coldplay just started playing on my Youtube!
Thank you for comforting me. Indeed God has his ways.♥
Now I'm crying while typing. 08/07-22 2:56am


To be honest, I just suddenly remember this childhood memory as soon as I sat down in my chair thinking of what to blog about today. 

In Loving Memory of my dearest Mother and Brother.




xoxo

Grace

Comments

Popular Posts