Why it's important to follow your own timeline when it comes to dating.

 When I was in high school, I started dreaming about my future. I told myself I would be a financially independent woman with a serious long-term relationship by 25. Ready to tie the knot if it's God's plan. However, some things just didn't go the way I had planned. My life did a 180 turn and now I'm a mess. 


My mom married my dad when she was only 23 years old and had my sister at 24. I think traditionally those were the "marrying age" because health-wise, it's a lot easier for women to go through pregnancy compared to women in their 30s. While I admire my parents for taking full responsibility for parenthood, it was a little achievement for me to have passed that age without getting pregnant or even married. I mean I'm not even sure what I was doing when I was their age but you would probably find me on every social media network. Curating my Instagram feed, posting a lot on Facebook, and even had a Dubsmash account! The digital age took over quite nicely on me I would say. 


So as of writing, I'm 27. More focused on paying bills than finding a partner lol But believe it or not, I'm not rushing. Though I have to admit, I was once desperate! I think it's something that I had outgrown over time. 


Like the old saying "to each their own" goes, every person is different from one another. Some want to marry early, and some do not. Some want to just wait and take their time. Some would prefer to be independent and it's perfectly okay! Being out of the normal is indeed normal. No matter what age you are, it is your life. Your decision. We do not have to follow the standards or timeline that society has imposed upon us. Truth is, you are not to feel pressured because you're being "left behind". Instead use that time to better yourselves, to improve on something, and maybe gain a skill or two. We're living in a modern age, where you see women being successful and slaying in their chosen paths (without men!) I personally feel empowered knowing that I have all this freedom. I get to do whatever I want, get to visit wherever, and not stress about something that I know will happen at some point in my life. Dating should not feel forced. 


There is nothing wrong with being single and liking it. To me, marrying is a lifelong decision and should not be taken lightly. Sabi nga nila, hindi daw yun bagong saing na kanin na kapag napaso ka, iluluwa mo. So take your time. Do not be bothered if you're hitting the "marrying age" yet still readily available. Your season will come.


Again, no pressure!





xoxo,



Grace~





Comments

Popular Posts