My Mom Was A Lot Of Things

My mom was many things. She could be the very traditional mom, the always high-strung mom, the talkative mom, the bossy mom—basically anything you can think of. But one thing she wasn't, was the affectionate type. She wasn't the super sweet and cuddly mom at all—at least not with me. We never had any sweet exchanges of words; it was always a lecture, lol.

I remember vividly the one time my mom showed her affectionate side. It was nine years ago when my grandfather (my dad's father) passed away from old age. I was at a resort in Nasugbu with my friends when I got a call from my dad. For context, my dad is always grumpy. He doesn’t yell, but his words cut deep, and they hurt. When I answered the phone, he broke the news to me. I was in shock and barely had time to process everything before he asked, "When are you coming home?"

I had just arrived at the resort that morning, and my friend's mom, the resort manager, had driven us there. I couldn't leave immediately and didn't know how to return on my own. I told my dad it would take at least two days to return home. That enraged him. He started shouting, telling me things like, "Don't bother coming home!" and "Why are you even there?" He said a lot of mean things. I tried to explain that I had to ask my friend's mom to drive me back, which would mean taking time out of her busy schedule, but that only made him angrier.

We were in the middle of dinner when he called, and I just went silent and started crying. I tried to hold back my tears because we were in a restaurant, but I couldn't stop. I understood my dad's frustration, probably amplified by grief, but he made me feel like it was my fault for being on the trip, which I had told him about weeks ago. Death is inevitable, and my grandpa, though his passing was sudden, was already in his sunset years. But my dad was so mad that I was away when it happened. It felt so unfair.

After silently crying a few seconds, I suddenly heard my mom's voice on the line. She must have taken the phone from my dad after hearing everything. The first thing she asked was, "Have you eaten?" Her voice was faint but comforting, making me cry even more because I had lost my appetite. She then calmly asked me about the situation, the same questions as my dad but with a relaxed and sympathetic tone.

I told you, she was never affectionate towards me, but just hearing her consoling voice made me feel loved. She was probably feeling sorry for me after everything my dad had said. I felt like I had my mom on my side. Her gentle voice echoed in my head as she spoke to me soothingly. I told her I'd try to come home as soon as possible, and we sorted out the situation like adults. My dad could never! After we got off the phone, my friends comforted me. I was overwhelmed with grief, anger, and gratitude. What was I supposed to feel?

Even after all these years, I remember it clearly because my mom became my hero that day. She might not have been the sweetest mom, but she had her way of showing she cared and loved me. It's heartbreaking that she too had to go. I miss her and wish I could call her whenever I argue with my dad. I need my ally back so badly.



xoxo
Grasya

Comments

Popular Posts