The Harvard Din & Tonics in Manila

 Hey kids, today Mom will share another core memory that I will always hold in my heart. 

On one random day, I was scrolling through my TikTok when I came across a video of a man wearing a tail suit singing an acapella of "Copacabana" and my initial reaction was "Who is this androgynous-looking guy?". But just like any other video, I scrolled past it after a while and went with my usual routine. However, some more videos appeared on my fyp, (taken from all different angles!) like bad bacteria, that Copacabana guy kept on coming back then I'd watch the whole thing over and over again until I could no longer get enough of him lol  From then on, I did a little research, found out his name, Elio and he is a member of one of Harvard's Acapella group called the Din & Tonics. I also watched their other performances. Immediately checked his TikTok account and I was just blown away REALLY! what a dashing young man! Not to mention the number of women simping over him on the comsec - I GET YOU, girls. I'm with you lol

 

Then not too long ago, while I was going to the gym, I took out my phone and randomly scrolled through my TikTok. Stumbled upon Elio's newly uploaded video about them wrapping up the European leg of their tour and when I read the comments, one of the fans suggested that they should visit the Ph and he replied that he was already in the here as he spoke. R U KIDDING ME???? I WAS FLOORED!!!


At that moment, I checked their website and found out that they were having a FREE concert in Makati Medical Center at 11 am!!! I was at the gym at 6, so imagine my excitement I couldn't even finish my sets coz I was just so spaced out thinking about what to wear etc. lol Had I known earlier, I would've packed an extra shirt and gone straight to MMC after. But since I still had to get home, take a bath, change, and of course travel, I needed more time but I managed to leave the house an hour early in hopes that I'd still make it in time. 

While I was inside the car on the way to MMC, I kept on checking Makati Med's page for any updates and they started to livestream the whole thing. 

Thankfully coz it was already past 11 and I got stuck in the traffic :( Unfortunately, I missed Elio's iconic "Copacabana" performance. THAT WAS THE HIGHLIGHT!!! 

I got there around 11:30 and was so bummed but I was still lucky enough to be at the side front!! 


And there Elio was - the man I was crushing so hard on Tiktok was just a few damn feet away from me. He looked surreal and handsome and I was literally blown away by his beauty. Immediately pulled out my phone and started filming their performances. To say I was starstruck was such an understatement. My palms were sweaty and were shaking out of excitement. I got butterflies whenever he would look my way!!!!

Honestly, aside from his famous "Copacabana", I only know 3 more songs from them but that doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy the whole set. Each one of them was given a solo for every song and I couldn't help but admire their talents! They were phenomenal! I couldn't for the love of God sing in an acapella group, It takes some serious coordination and of course, a deeper understanding of melodies, and harmonies, and I LEGIT SUCK  at it! 

Elio, I see you peeping!

so tall T^T


Elio during the "A Train" performance

ahhh so close yet so far!


they sounded so heavenly it's addicting. You could also tell how they enjoyed their performance, they'd do funny gestures all throughout and would crack a joke before introducing their next song. They were so unhinged and so unserious and I'm here for it!

After almost an hour of singing, the performance sadly, had come to an end. The MMC Directors awarded them of Certification of Appreciation 

cute reaction when the directors said they would give them more "pasalubong"

They also introduced themselves and the course they were currently taking and man, they were NOT kidding when they said they were from Harvard. I expected nothing less from the Harvard peeps but how could they study difficult courses and go on a world tour at the same time??? I took up a Business course and I felt like I lost half of my hair from stress but here they are looking all so fresh and relaxed lol

I was so hyped when the host said the Dins would be selling their merch. YOU MEAN I GET TO INTERACT WITH THEM??? SIGN ME TF UP!!


So they set up a mini booth and some of the members started talking to the fans and taking pics with them. I was lining up to see Elio and there were like 4-5 women in front of me. All were eager to get a photo with him and I was so determined to get one too!! You could literally hear their gasps and kilig! There, I spoke to the woman in front of me, and her name was Luisa. Found out she came alone too so we agreed to go around and ask for photos with the rest of the members. 


Almost!!!! 

.....

SOMEBODY PINCH ME!!!

He was so friendly and nice to us! When it was my turn, I greeted him and complimented their performance. IT WAS SO SURREAL!!!

but he was so tall - as seen in the photo lol

 I also had to go since there were still a bunch of girls behind me. ;___;


So, Luisa and I went to the next member - Shannon. We spoke to her for a while! I think amongst all of them, we interacted with her the longest. She was such a sweet soul. We talked about the long-haul flight they had and she even asked for our names after. She's drop-dead gorgeous too!!! I literally told her "If I had a face like that I'd be like, yeah it's me" to everyone who would stare and she laughed lol

After chatting with Shannon, we went to the booth to buy a signed poster! and then asked the other members who were in charge of the booth. 

We got Ben, who looked so formal lol he needed to tend to other fans who were buying merch so it was a bit rushed. 

and I was s bit shy to approach Kavi, coz he looked like a snob but turned out to be a cinnamon roll! He even had to crouch down coz he was super tall! Kavi was sweet and nice we spoke a little too!

Were most of them tall or was I just that smol? I'd say both. :(( It was like walking into a forest with gigantic trees. That feeling!


Here we got Andrew, I actually formally introduced myself and shook his hand coz I find him cute I gotta make an impression jk!! He's got this bubbly and fun personality, I could easily tell that he is the life of the party.

When the crowd lessened around Elio, we went back to him. I was surprised when he mentioned my phone case, he was like "Oh that was you???" he said he noticed it during their performance because it looked funny which explains why he kept glancing my way! 

We spoke a little longer this time and when I asked him to say "Hi" to my video, he asked me who was he saying hi to and I said it was just for me, for keepsake lol and he was like "Oh look who I am with!!" 

He was so game with anything!! You wouldn't feel any awkwardness at all!

When we took this photo, he even offered to hold the other corner of the poster. My heaaaaaart!!

I might be pretty chill on the outside but my kilig was soooo pigil na pigil! It was hard to contain it. 


But we had to say goodbye since other fans lined up behind us. So the next order of business was their music director, Carolyn. She was so nice and bubbly too! 

Next up was Sean, who turned out to be a Filipino! Being the business manager, he was rarely at the booth going to and fro so when we spotted him back at the booth, I quickly walked up to him and asked for a photo. Parang bagay kame???

Honestly, I was intimidated by Ria coz she looked a bit "mataray" but she even went outside the booth so we could have a moment and distance away from the other fans. My girl I love her curly hair the most!

I almost forgot to have a photo with Kieran who was so busy packing up their stuff but I managed to take a quick photo with him and he was all smiles! We didn't have much interaction since he was also busy. 

More snippets of Elio back at the booth

And lastly, here is Luisa! We decided to take a quick photo with the Dins at the back. 

We watched them pack the rest of their stuff and leave the area. At that point, we agreed to grab some coffee. 


Outside Seattle's Best, we spotted them again leaving MMC. 

Goodbye guys! It was a pleasure meeting you all and  I hope you will visit us again. I was lucky enough to talk to each one of them and that makes my heart full! ♥


SUCH A CORE MEMORY! Tysm MMC for having them and for making it free! Sadly, I might not be able to see Elio again on their next tour since he's going to graduate next year but I will still support the Dins on their next world tour if PH is included. :) For now, I can proudly tell the world that I was able to see them live and meet all of them esp. Elio yall can suck it HAHA


bye kids!


xoxo
Grasya











Comments

Popular Posts