On being both Ginny and Patty



 Recently, I rewatched "Starting Over Again". A classic Filipino film, starring Toni Gonzaga, Papa P, and Iza Calzado. The first time I watched it was when I was still in a relationship with my high school sweetheart. And I remember being so disappointed and mad about the ending. Wtf so you're telling me Ginny and Marco did not end up together? But why? They're basically soulmates who knew each other all their lives! I was so frustrated as to why Patty had to enter the scene. Ginny and Marco had been together for so long. Let them reunite and marry! I have sooo many why's in my head and I literally bawled my eyes out after the movie. 


 Soon after, I realized that the reason why I got so emotionally worked up on that movie, was because I was in the same situation as Ginny. I was dating my high school crush and I was eagerly wishing we would end up together, just like soulmates. And wouldn't it be a nice and exciting love story to tell? Like, oh we were high school sweethearts, rekindled our romance after college, and whatnot? I mean that's a flex! 

To cut the story short, we broke up because he cheated and we don't tolerate bullshit in our lives. I got enough of that already lol so yeah. Well, just like Ginny and Marco, we didn't make it until the end. Which I'm really grateful for, because staying despite knowing everything is torture.


Fast forward to 2022. The other day, I was scrolling through Netflix looking for a good movie to watch when I stumbled through the same movie and gave it another try. 


AND I'M TELLING YOU. GINNY PISSED ME OFF. A LOT!

Like why was she so desperate to have Marco back? The dude was obviously in love with Patty. Give him a break. You left Marco because you're starting to see how much of a loser he became like your father? If you truly loved him, you would've acted like a grown-ass woman and voiced it out not fuxking leave. 


Don't even start with the confrontation between Patty and Ginny. It was a chef's kiss seeing Ginny being put in her place. Like damn Patty, u go girl.



After the movie, I was goddamn satisfied with how it ended. Ginny starting out a new life, moving on, and shit. While Marco and Patty got married. 

and I was like "ohh my take on this was a A LOT different before". I would curse under my breath whenever Patty would show up on the screen. Like the audacity of this woman. But now, Ginny, girl your moment and your relationship with Marco had long been dead and gone. Why not let it stay that way and let the poor guy get another chance at love. 


That's when it hit me that I'd transformed from being a Ginny to a Patty. And now I'm looking at it from Patty's POV while Ginny plays the villain.

Gosh, I remember being in the same funny situation as her with my other former lover in which I despised the "Ginny" in his life. Like why are you still forcing your way in? It's pretty much my turn now. We could never rewrite the history you guys had together and I knew that taking him in meant I'd see parts of you in him yet I WAS more than willing to accept that fact. 

Being the new woman in someone's life while that person is still dealing with an ex-lover is such a pain in the ass but you know what they say if you aren't dumb, you're not in love. And if being stupid is a degree, I would say I'm quite a scholar. 


But just like my high school sweetheart, ours didn't work as well. The Marco in my life probably went back to his Ginny, I mean who knows!  Well, at least in the parallel universe, they did end up together. Hopefully, they work things out this time and not fuck it up again. 


Look at the Patty in me, taking the higher road coz ya know a grown woman does not say cruel things to exes, instead we say, "I wish you happiness", then curses in her head while tapping herself for comfort. That's how it works people. One does not simply stay the same after you tore them apart. You acknowledged the mistake, processed the pain then moved on.


 

Well not after some ugly crying and alcohol drinking.


I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who experienced being in the place of either of them. At some certain point, we all desperately wished our childhood sweetheart or our present lover will be the one we'll end up with. I mean who doesn't wanna go that path right? (lol could be the inneDisneyey fan in me talking abt marriage/fairytales, coz I'm in no way considering that shit hehe) 
But life as we know it. It fucks us up.


Be it a Ginny or a Patty as long as you're happy and not settling for less.
You do you. 




xoxo

Grace








Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts