Dating in Today's Generation

 Dating has become so complex and a lot more complicated in today's generation. No-label relationships, fubu, etc. just to name a few. The tita in me only knew happy crushes, MU, dating then of course breaking up. And the worst term we had before is called "paasa".But that's how we millennials dealt with it. Easy peasy. 

But when the digital age took over wherein meeting people is just a swipe of a finger away, dating became so much easier. Lots of dating apps popped out here and there. It's crazy how we went from clan meetups/eyeball to this? Just where did the time go?



The first exposure I had to a dating app was when I was in college. Some of my friends had Tinder installed on their phones and they'd meet up after school. Amazed and intrigued by how it worked, I also installed the app when I got home that day. With every words I typed in on my Bio, came the nervousness, insecurity (lots of it!), and confusion. Like how should I introduce myself to these people? Will I get noticed by saying that I like anime and music? Were my looks enough to make them swipe? I've had those thoughts running through my head. I ended up uninstalling the app, I was new to it and did not feel comfortable staying. My curiosity was already satisfied seeing the gits of it.

 

Fast forward to today's era, I became more accustomed to dating apps. Everyone has accepted the fact that this is the world we live in today. Believe it or not, I have a few of them installed on my phone. It is indeed a good way to find friends/lovers (if you are lucky). I still speak with friends I met there, trust me there are decent ones.

But as a millennial, I still find it hard to cope at times. Because despite meeting and knowing someone from an app, I still long for a genuine connection which obviously all the apps could never ever give me. It will never be on par with meeting someone for the first time face-to-face. If you're still stuck in your Maria Clara phase of dating, you'll most likely be left out. Honestly.

 And you know why it's hard to rely on dating apps? because you truly do not know the person you're talking to. Everyone can lie and say that they're this and that but who knows! You might be talking to a scammer, sex offender, or murderer! 

Never trust a stranger you just met online. 


In addition to that, you will never be sure if that person is even single. God knows he could be married or in a long-term relationship and you are a budding candidate for the mistress role. 



Also one of the things that bother me the most about dating apps is that most of them are not looking for something serious. Some men there are just really there to find someone to hook up with. I mean yeah hookups are cool, but only if both parties enjoy it and have consented to it. And not everyone on the app likes to go down that route. Not me. I'm like one of the few people who are actually there to find something meaningful which is obviously a challenge or else you wouldn't find me here blogging about my frustrations!

Today's generation is liberating, us in our Titas/Titos age somehow find it hard to keep up. Quick story! Someone messaged me the other day and when I checked his profile, he is 19 years old. Child, chill I'm already your aunty. Go back to studying please, I cannot be your sugar mommah haha


And I'd just like to compare dating back then to now. Before, we would really go out and have nice chitchat in person. Would go watch movies in the cinema, park dates, and try out rides in an amusement park, you know like the actual dates couples usually do. Today's dating is more of waiting for replies, 10-12 hours videocalls, Netflix party watch, and I don't think I'd appreciate that, I mean I know it's cute and shit but not all the damn time. Especially if you guys are not even in a long-distance relationship. To be honest, the digital age made people lazy.


Quick shoutout to every Tita/Tito out there feeling the same sentiments I have. Dealing and trying to cope with this generation is such a struggle. Dating has evolved in so many ways over time. I'm not even sure if it's for the better lol



Well, that sums up today's blog. 



P.S if you don't like me, at least give my number to your friend. You mf.


xoxo

Grace





 

Comments

Popular Posts