30-Day Writing Challenge (DAY 9) My Feelings on Ageism

 Ageism is not highly discussed here in the Philippines, but it's pretty obvious if you look closely. One thing that I want to highlight in this particular topic is the discrimination of the elderly in their employment. I assure you that in every company there's an elderly employee who is looked down upon and is considered "less able" just because of their age. Often referred to as "decaying" and not fit in the working industry anymore. Some companies won't even hire you if they think you are too old for the job. It hurts to see how it's all about business when they can bring their knowledge and impressive years of experience to the table that could benefit the business. It's unfair that they are rejected because of their age. 

If love has a saying that goes "Age is just a number" why can't we do the same thing in a professional setting? 



Just my two cents.

Anyway, despite the inevitable circumstances in life brought about by ageism here in my country, I still want to applaud our law for allowing the elderly population to have the option to continue working after reaching the retirement age of 60. I think that it's cool that they can have the freedom to choose when they want to really retire. 


Bye felicia!

xoxo
Grasya


Comments

Popular Posts