30-Day Writing Challenge (DAY 6) Someone Who Fascinates Me and Why

 Welcome to Day 6, kids! 


Today I’ll be talking about the person who fascinates me the most and she’s none other than my late mother, Asuncion. 

I wasn’t born with a golden spoon. we are part of the low-income class, My parents were both hard working and they had 3 kids. We led a pretty simple life growing up, it was not extravagant but lucky enough to be able to eat three times a day. I rarely owned branded stuff. Most of my things were bought from Palengke or Divisoria but I loved it every time my mom came home with pasalubong. The only time I realized that we were not as comfortable as I thought was when I entered College. I enrolled at  Universidad de Manila and took up a business course. Since it was a public university, we didn’t have to pay tuition but having me and my sister attend college at the same time was tough for them financially. My sister was in a semi-private university so the tuition could be a little higher. I often heard my mom saying she was short on money and she would later on loan some from her amiga or my aunts. My dad didn’t want us to get a part-time job since he was afraid it would just be a burden for us and also a potential reason to stop pursuing a degree. In the end, they were able to send us to college from their little income and I'll always be thankful

My mom mostly controlled our family’s finances and I applaud her for doing so. Being a mother is no easy job. Your body changes after giving birth and right after going through such a thing, you’d then have to nurse your newborn kid as if you don’t need time to recover from it yourself. I became more aware of the gist of it when my sister gave birth to my nephew. She often told me her struggles and hardships since she became a mom. She even once went through postpartum depression one time! There is no way I would be able to provide for my own kid! I’m not financially responsible enough and I don’t think I’ll ever be prepared mentally and emotionally. It’s just a lot. Of course, things do change over time and I’m not totally closing my doors to that idea. But right now, I strongly believe that I am better off with no children. Not to mention the inflation we are facing right now. 

Hence why I salute my mom, dad, and everyone who works hard to give their kids the life they deserve. May your pockets never be empty! 




xoxo

Grasya





Comments

Popular Posts